As part of executing Decision Assembly/AU/Dec.810(XXXIV) of 6–7 February 2021 on domestic health financing, the AUDA-NEPAD hosted preparatory meetings to discuss piloting of Regional Health Financing Hubs (RHFH) in the Southern Africa and East Africa AU Regions as follows:
– 29 August to 03 September: Southern African Development Community (SADC) in Johannesburg, South Africa
– 12 to 17 September: East African Community (EAC) in Nairobi, Kenya
The consultations consisted of delegates from the African Union (AU) Commission, the AU Member States and respective Regional Economic Communities (RECs). The meetings provided an opportunity to:
- Scope the implementation process of the Regional Health Financing Hubs in the two pilot regions;
- Develop a clear roadmap for implementing the Regional Hubs and concretise the draft documentation for consideration by the Member States in the various regions.
- Carve out the most optimal approach in effectively establishing sustainable RHFH within the regions.
- Ensure ongoing alignment of the various key elements of the RHFH.
The vision of establishing RHFHs is for the Hubs to be the central point to support the AU Member States to realise the ALM-Investing in Health agenda.